Roto-Rooter does more than just clear drains. As full-service residential & commercial plumbers, we can repair or replace sewer pipes to correct a number of problems. Owners are responsible for maintaining the sewer lines connecting their premises to the city sewer main. Drain and sewer pipes left in disrepair could cause flooding and groundwater contamination, representing a serious environmental hazard. Roto-Rooter offers sewer line repair, replacement, and installation to correct a number of problems. Sewer line problems may include:
- Broken, cracked, offset, or collapsed pipes – damaged sewer lines due to shifting soil, frozen ground, settling, etc.
- Blockage – grease build-up or a foreign object is restricting or prohibiting proper flow and/or cleaning of the sewer line.
- Corrosion – the sewer pipe has deteriorated and/or broken, causing sections of the pipe to collapse and restrict flow.
- Leaking joints – the seals between pipes have broken, allowing water to escape into the area surrounding the pipe.
- Bellied pipe – a section of the sewer pipe has sunk due to ground or soil conditions, creating a valley that collects paper and waste.
- Roots in sewer line- tree or shrub roots have invaded the sewer pipe, preventing normal cleaning and/or roots that have damaged the pipe.
- Off-grade pipe – existing pipes are constructed of substandard or outdated material that may have deteriorated or corroded.
Traditional Sewer Line Repair Method
Sewer line repairs are typically performed using the “open cut” or “trench” method to gain access to the area surrounding the damaged portion of the pipe. A backhoe may be used to open and refill the work area.
Trenchless Repair Methods
Trenchless repair methods cause less damage than traditional sewer line repair techniques. Thanks to Roto-Rooter, sewer line repair or replacement doesn’t have to mean ruined property, sidewalks, and open trenches.
Trenchless technology offered by Roto-Rooter is the latest advancement in quality sewer line repair and replacement with almost no impact on the surrounding environmental landscape, as well as being cost-effective.
During this process, Roto-Rooter technicians will make small access holes where the damaged underground pipe starts and ends. Using your broken sewer pipe as a guide, our hydraulic pipe bursting machine pulls a full-sized replacement pipe through the old path and breaks up the damaged pipe at the same time. The new sewer pipe is highly resistant to leaks and root intrusion with a long life expectancy. It’s a faster process than open-cut methods and can replace orangeburg, cast iron, clay, terra cotta, PVC, and concrete pipes. The process even allows for upsizing lines and there is less risk of damage to utilities in close proximity to damaged pipes.
Pipe bursting techniques can be used in the following applications:
- Sewer laterals
- Manhole to manhole
- Under slabs and floors
- Under roadways, driveways, and parking lots
- Historical sites and locations where preservation is required
- In tight spaces
- Where trenches are too dangerous
Pipe Lining – CIPP
Pipe lining is the process of repairing damaged sewer pipes by casting a “pipe within a pipe” to restore 100% function and flow. Epoxy lining materials mold to the inside of the existing pipe to create a smooth and tough new inner wall.
Many times, pipe lining can be performed through a building’s sewer clean-out access and the process usually requires very little digging. Pipe lining may be used to repair root-damaged or rusted pipes, seal cracks and holes, fill in missing pipe, and seal joint connections underground, in roof drain pipes and storm lines, and under concrete. The lined pipe is seamless and durable.
A felt-lined flexible tube (the liner) is filled with an epoxy and resin mix then inserted into one end of the damaged pipe. Then a “bladder” is inserted and inflated to press the new lining against the sides of the existing pipe. The bladder is left in place for four to six hours until the lining has cured and adhered to the old pipe. The finished pipe is seamless and durable. A video camera inspection will be performed to ensure that the pipe is draining properly and is free of obstructions. Additionally, all materials used in the lining process are non-hazardous.
Benefits of Pipe Lining
- Minimal property damage
- No risk of damage to nearby existing pipes
- Reduced downtime during repairs
- Extra-long life expectancy
- Non-hazardous materials won’t harm the environment
- A lined pipe cannot be penetrated by tree roots
- Guaranteed materials and workmanship
Commercial Sewer Line Repair
Roto-Rooter does more than just clean drains. As full-service industrial plumbers, we also repair or replace sewer pipes to fix numerous issues. Commercial building owners are responsible for maintaining the sewer lines connecting their premises to the city sewer main, normally to the sidewalk or curb. Drain and sewage pipes left in disrepair can cause flooding and groundwater contamination, presenting a serious environmental hazard. Roto-Rooter provides sewer line repair, replacement, and installation to correct many problems.